January 31, 2014 by
P3 On-the-Job Planning: I got a message from a client recently who was feeling badly about making a somewhat big mistake at her job. That is of course a bummer, but let's face it, we are human and we will make mistakes from time to time.
As both a business owner with 12 staffers, and an independent consultant who has worked in the field for years, I know first hand how to handle errors and learn from them. So I want to share with my high-level Amazing Life friends my 5-step approach to handling job mistakes with grace.
- Assess exactly what happened and why. Understand in detail what the error was and how it affected the overall big picture.
- It was your mistake, so acknowledge this. Avoid blaming others or making an excuse of any kind to your higher-ups.
- STOP beating yourself up about it and DECIDE to create a strategy now that will empower you to deal with this situation.
- Write down a specific plan as to how you will avoid making this same mistake again. This could include your need and willingness for more training, an improved logistical plan for the task, or possibly most importantly, you limiting your own distractions and attention deficits so that you have better focus on the job.
- Take your plan to your boss and/or co-workers who were affected. Own up to the mistake and present your specific procedure for how you will avoid making the same mistake in the future.
- Put your plan in action!! You have learned a great deal!! You will grow as a result of your heartfelt concern, research and planning.
Rather than beating yourself up, you are learning to handle issues like this with maturity, rationality, forward-thinking, and most importantly, a game plan for what will work best next time. This is a HUGE step in the right direction. You are moving forward in a great way!! Onward and Upward!!
If you need more help or information on creating your amazing life, please contact me at www.youramazinglifewithdaley or email@example.com to arrange for your own Personal Power Planning session.